Home Herbal garden in which it grows herbs around the house for basic health care. The purpose of promoting such gardens is to identify some of the most widely available medicinal plants in the area, root them in the backyard, and use them as first aid for common health problems. In fact, the idea of growing medicinal plants in the backyard and growing medicinal plants in the surroundings is not new today. India has a long history of biodiversity. Many types of plants are found growing around us.
A little space is also enough for those living in towns to grow plants. Many types of medicinal plants can be grown in pots. These can prevent many common diseases and also can cure some stubborn diseases.
There is a need to create a First Aid Kit that can help the general public using medicinal plants. Medicinal plants adapt to too many types of climatic changes. This is a very good change, that these days when water and air are also getting polluted. This home garden plays an important role in primary health care and in the revitalization of local traditional medicine.
We grow a variety of plants in front of the house, in the backyard, and in small pots. They are very pleasing to the mind and actually very few have medicinal values.
1 Aloe: (Aloe barbadenis, Aparaceae)
It forms clusters of leaves, they are thick, firm, sticky, and pulpy. The black paste-like substance obtained by drying the pulp of the leaf is called “musambramu”.
Most of us have seen the aloe Vera plant; leaves are very thick and thorny on both sides. It grows well in a month.
- Applying the Juice from the leaves on burns heals it quickly. Mixing it with turmeric also cures Hyperpigmentation.
- Ingestion of this juice reduces urinary incontinence and normalizes menstruation in females and also reduces menstrual cramps
- It works as a very good moisturizer for those with dry skin. Heals cracks in the legs.
- People suffering from constipation can also take it day by day.
- It works well for those who are overweight. It doesn’t have any side effects even we take it regularly.
- Regular intake of this Juice strengthens our immune system and all diseases will be cured.
- The gel obtained from it is also used in the manufacturing of cosmetics
2. Kaprilla /Ajwain leaves (Coleus aromaticus, Lamiaceae)
This plant has been growing in homes for a long time. It is also known as “vamu leaf”.
The leaves are very thick, rounded, and have a pungent odor. Fold the leaf and it will break. Due to this odor Mosquitoes and worms do not come close and it looks beautiful in pots. It can be regrown by its beet or by twigs.
- Chewing these leaves on daily basis reduces bronchitis. Asthma in adults and children can be completely cured by eating these leaves daily for a month.
- The Juice of this leaf removes stones in the urinary bladder and also reduces the pain of having stones and blood in the urine.
- It also gives relief in indigestion, diarrhea, abdominal pain.
- When Sputum blocked in the throat two teaspoons of this juice mixed with boiling water will bring immediate relief.
- Juice of the leaves, a pinch of ground pepper powder mixed with honey can cure cough, sore throat, and cold.
- Bajjis made with these leaves are delicious and serve to relieve indigestion.
3. Basil: (Ocimum sanctum, Lamiaceae)
This is a perennial plant that grows up to one meter in height. The plant is considered sacred by the Hindus. Basil is considered to be very sacred and is also the best medicine. Both basil leaves and seeds can be used. It is very easy to extract juice from the basil leaves.
- Taking three teaspoons of basil juice along with peppermint powder or ginger juice or honey reduces cold, cough, fever, fatigue, hoarseness, sinusitis, allergies, and excessive sneezing.
- It is great medicine for indigestion.
- By consuming the leaves daily, worms in the stomach are completely extinct.
- Basil juice taken in the evening will relieve anxiety and fatigue.
- Those who are prone to anxiety, irritability, and fear of every little thing will get a very good result if they drink basil juice every day.
- For those who are on medication for blood pressure, taking basil juice works well and within a few days, the blood pressure returns to normal.
- Applying this juice on the face reduces wrinkles, pimples, and dark circles. In addition, it gives a good glow to the skin.
4. Coriander: (Coriandrum sativum, Apiacene)
It is better to grow coriander at home since there is a difference between what we find in the market and what we grow at home. They can be grown by gently crushing and sowing coriander seeds.
- A drop of coriander leaf juice grown in our home will completely reduce itching and inflammation.
- For people who have sleeplessness, consuming this juice helps in relaxing and it Increases digestion; Long-lasting ulcers can be reduced.
5.Saraswati leaf: (Centella asiatica, Apiaceae)
It is a plant that grows in shady areas and closes to groundwater resources. It also grows very quickly in pots. If a small rooted stem is planted, it will spread throughout the pot in ten to fifteen days. It grows abundantly in moist, shady places; flowers are blue in color, with round elongated leaves and red stems.
- Consumption of 1-2 teaspoons of this leaf juice mixed with honey enhances memory. For children with Mental Retardation, it is beneficial to consume 2-3 grams of these dried leaflets regularly.
- It can also be used to treat epilepsy, skin diseases, and hoarseness.
- Eating this leaf daily will increase memory in children. Increases concentration.
- Its green leaves, or dried powder, work well on skin diseases.
- Trimmed twigs can be dried in the shade and used whenever needed. It is very good medicine for any kind of mental illness
6.Brahmi: (Bacopa monnieri, Seropholariaceae)
It is also known as Jala Brahmi, Sambarenu. It has thin, small leaves and grows on shores and ponds. If the twig is planted, it will tangle immediately. The soft stems and leaves of this plant are healthy to eat with lentils.
- The leaves and stems of this plant reduce dementia.
- No matter how lazy children are, they will become active if they are fed these leaves for a while.
7.Nela Usiri: (Phyllanthus fraternus, Euphorbiaceae)
This is an annual plant that grows up to 1-2 feet tall. The leaves are like royal amaranth leaves. This small plant that looks like a weed everywhere has now gained international recognition. If it is planted, the pot will be full of its saplings including the seeds within three months. Behind the tiny leaves, there are a series of small nuts.
- This plant is very effective in curing many diseases caused by the virus Jaundice, hepatitis ‘A’ and ‘B’ types work well.
8.MachiPatri (Artemesia vulgaris, Asteraceae)
This plant is still widely grown in pots. If a small pitcher is planted it will grow big within ten days. This plant works as mosquitoes and insect repellents.
- Giving a teaspoon of juice along with honey to children will kill all kinds of worms in the stomach.
- It is also very good medicine for people who are suffering from sleeping disorders
- Smoke from this, by burning the dried leaves will repel mosquitoes.
- When there are ticks on the head, the leaves are crushed, applied to the head, and wash your hair after an hour the ticks will die.
9.False Daisy/bhringraj : (Eclipta alla, Asteraceae)
This plant guntagalagara is well known to many people. This is called Bhringaraja. It is very easy to grow in pots. This plant has small white flowers with a nice look. The famous Bhrangamalaka Tailam is made from this plant.
- The juice extracted from the leaves of this plant is boiled in oil and applied daily on the scalp to stop hair loss and grow healthy.
- Taking a fine paste of ten leaves once in day strengthens the bones. Skin diseases are preventable.
10.Ashwagandha/Penneru: (Withuania somnifera, Solanaceae)
It is also known as ashwagandha, winter cherry, and can be easily cultivated by seeds. The leaves and roots are very useful By the time the flowers bloom the root hardens. The tuber can be cut into pieces, dried, and stored.
- Consuming it as powder boiled with milk, chances of decreasing heart disease, dizziness, nerve weakness, and nourishes the body’s energy capabilities. It boosts immunity and also useful for pregnant women and nursing mothers.
- Using this in prophylactic patients with AIDS, cancer, and tuberculosis. It also reduces joint pains.
- Excess body fat is dissolved. The boredom that comes after a fever is reduced. Increases appetite.
So this is all about plants that are suitable for growing in the pots of the back yard and with all the beauty and medicinal value. It is also easy to raise such ones. No need to use fertilizers and pesticides. Changing the soil occasionally and watering twice a week is sufficient. These also make the home environment cleaner.